Teknosol-B12 Injectable Solution is a light red – red colored, clear solution. Each ml contains 100 mg of butafosfan (equivalent to 17.30 mg phosphorus) and 0.05 mg of vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin).
Most of the phosphorus in the organism is found together with calcium. 80% of the body’s phosphorus is in the bones. The rest joins to the structure of phospholipids, nucleic acids and phosphoproteins. Phosphorus found in soft tissues takes role in carbohydrate and protein metabolism. The calcium-phosphorus ratio in mineral metabolism is very important. They have substantial roles on skeletal system development. Parathormone and vitamin D help keep these two elements within the physiological limits.
Butafosfan, the active ingredient of Teknosol-B12 Injectable Solution, is an organic phosphorus compound which acts on the assimilation precursors in the organism. It plays a role in energy metabolism, especially in the synthesis of ADP – ATP. It controls Aspartate Aminotransferase (AST) – one of the enzymes found in the liver and muscle tissue – when the enzyme elevates in muscle diseases and liver diseases due to some metabolic causes. Phosphorus is excreted immediately after acting as a stimulant in metabolic activities. Another feature of butafosfan is increasing the reacting ability of the organs with smooth muscle. It regulates immunological reactions. There is a relationship between phosphorus and calcium, especially in terms of the development of the skeletal system.
Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin), the active ingredient of Teknosol-B12 Injectable Solution, is a water-soluble vitamin which is involved in the intermediate metabolism of the animal’s body. It plays a role in protein, carbohydrate and fat metabolism. It is responsible on highly important tasks such as normal development and nutrition, the formation of blood cells (erythrocytes, red blood cells), the development and proliferation of all kinds of cells including epithelial cells, synthesizing myelin and protecting integrity of the nervous system.
Butafosfan reaches maximum serum concentration shortly after intravenous administration of Teknosol-B12 Injectable Solution. It falls below the detectable limits 24, 48 and 72 hours later. 77% of butafosfan is excreted quickly via urine.
INDICATIONS FOR USE
Teknosol-B12 Injectable Solution is used in cattle, horses, sheep, goats, cats and dogs for;
– Symptoms such as phosphorus deficiency syndrome seen in the spring (in cattle; insomnia, loss of appetite, chronic indigestion (digestive disorders) or ruminal repletion, nutritional disorders, decreased milk yield, nervousness etc.)
– Tiredness and weakness during recovery after difficult parturition
– Fatigue, drowsiness, growth retardation, movement disorders, skeletal and joint disorders in newborns
– Irregular feeding situations
– Pica caused by phosphorus deficiency
– Phosphorus deficiency and osteomalacia and rickets related to phosphorus deficiency, nervous system disorders, calcium-phosphorus balance disorders, promoting callus formation in bone fractures and bone metabolism disorders (together with vitamin D preparations)
– General weakness (extreme fatigue, weight loss, exhaustion), recovery periods, supporting general condition
– In order to meet the need of phosphorus in the fast-growing young animals and high-yielding animals
– Supporting the calcium therapy in cases of hypophosphatemia and hypocalcemia in dairy cows
– Fertility disorders (infertility due to food deficit or lack of active substance)
– Strengthening during healthy development of skin, bones and muscles, especially for boosting the development of cubs of dogs and fur animals
– Improving yield in draught and race animals
– Supportive treatment in parasitic and secondary anemia situations
– As an adjunct to calcium treatment in the lumbago of horses
– Supporting the treatment of chronic diseases and chronic metabolic disorders
– The treatment of paresis and tetany resulting from disorders of calcium, phosphorus and magnesium metabolism (used together with calcium and magnesium preparations)
ADMINISTRATION ROUTES AND AMOUNTS
Teknosol-B12 Injectable Solution is administered by intramuscular (IM), intravenous (IV) and subcutaneous (SC) routes to cattle, horses, sheep, goats, dogs and cats at the doses shown below, unless recommended otherwise by the veterinarian.
|Animal species||Teknosol-B12 Injectable Solution|
|Horse – Cattle||5 – 25 ml|
|Foal – Veal calf||5 – 12 ml|
|Sheep – Goat||2.5 – 5 ml|
|Lamb – Kid||1.5 – 2.5 ml|
|Dog (by body weight)||0.5 – 5 ml|
|Cat – Fur animals||0.5 – 2.5 ml|
Give half of the doses shown above, and if necessary, reapply at intervals of 1 – 2 weeks or less.
Healthy animals are given half of the doses mentioned above for the purpose of improving yield.
There are no known adverse reactions in recommended administration routes and doses.
Do not mix with other drugs.
Withdrawal period for meat and milk is 0 (zero) days following the last treatment.